Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that’s happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. This week, the President welcomed a fellow President to the White House and held a whirlwind of meetings at the United Nations General Assembly. And the First Lady named a new panda cub! That’s September 25th to October 1st or, “Make It Matter.”
Friday, September 25
- On Friday, the President welcomed President Xi of China to the White House during the Arrival Ceremony on the South Lawn — the second one this week!
- President Obama and President Xi held a bilateral meeting and a press conference where they reaffirmed the critical role that our countries play in cutting carbon pollution and fighting climate change.
- Meanwhile, the First Ladies took a walk on the wild side at the Smithsonian National Zoo. There, they visited the panda house, and named the new panda cub!
- Later that afternoon, the President headed to Fort Myer to bid adieu to General Martin Dempsey, who is retiring as the Chairman of the Join Chiefs of Staff.
- That night, the President and First Lady dressed up for the Official State Dinner to welcome Chinese President Xi and First Lady Peng.
Saturday, September 26
- On Saturday, the First Lady attended the Global Citizen Festival in Central Park. There, she started a conversation online to highlight the 62 million girls worldwide who are not in school and don’t have access to education. Check out the website at 62milliongirls.com.
Sunday, September 27
- On Sunday, the President was wheels down in New York City at 12:03pm. The next few days were a whirlwind of meetings with world leaders and speeches to those gathered in the big apple for the United Nations General Assembly.
Monday, September 28
- In the morning, the President addressed the 70th Session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- Later that afternoon, the President had meetings with Prime Minister modi of India and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the Peacekeeping Summit, and lastly the President of Russia, Vladimir Putin.
Tuesday, September 29
- On Tuesday, the President had more meetings — including bilats with the President of Cuba and the President of Kazakhstan. He also chaired the Leaders’ Summit on Countering ISIL and Countering Violent Extremism.
Wednesday, September 30
- On Wednesday, the President made his way across West Executive Drive to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building — where he spoke to Democratic State Legislators.
Stay engaged with us online, and you can find out more about any of these topics and see complete videos of these events at whitehouse.gov.