Sean Spicer Resigns After Trump Appoints Anthony Scaramucci as Communications Director


White House press Secretary Sean Spicer has resigned, just six months after holding the job, according to White House sources. Spicer made his decision after President Donald Trump appointed long-time loyalist Anthony Scaramucci as White House communications director. Trump made his decision to hire Scaramucci last night, confirming his decision on Friday morning despite protests from some in the administration. Spicer, a career political spokesperson, was deeply opposed to the idea and resigned in protest to Trump’s decision. Spicer’s six month career was beset by controversy, as he struggled to battle the mainstream media onslaught of hostility against the young Trump administration. After White House communications director Mike Dubke resigned in May, Spicer tried to position himself as the replacement. That effort failed, as Trump decided to select a Trump loyalist as a successor.
Continue reading…

 

Migrant Sex Attacks in German State Double From Last Year

Cologne
The number of sexual assaults by asylum seekers recorded in the German state of Baden-Württemberg in 2016 close to doubled from the 2015 recorded figure. According to the Ministry of the Interior, the number of crimes of a sexual nature committed by asylum seekers in the state rose from 256 in 2015 to 482 in 2016, with the majority of offenders in this category hailing from Afghanistan and Syria. The figures come after a traditional German festival in the state descended into chaos at the weekend as groups of young men  — many of them migrants according to police  — rioted, attacked officers, and launched sex attacks. During its opening weekend on 15 and 16 July, nine sexual assaults were reported to have taken place at the folk fair in Schorndorf Castle, Baden-Württemberg, for which police were investigating suspects from Iraq and Afghanistan. Clashes broke out on Sunday evening between two groups of youths with migration backgrounds, according to the festival organiser. When police arrived, they were showered with glass bottles and had to equip protective clothing and call for reinforcements from neighbouring counties, while six police cars were vandalised and sprayed with graffiti. “The level of violence faced by police
Continue reading…

 

California Judge Continues to Block Trump’s Sanctuary City Order


U.S. District Judge William Orrick III in San Francisco issued a decision Thursday rejecting a request by the Department of Justice to reconsider his April decision to block President Donald Trump’s executive order threatening to cut funding from sanctuary cities. After San Francisco and Santa Clara County sued earlier this year, Judge Orrick blocked the order on the grounds that it was too broad. He relied partly on “public comments” by the president and Attorney General Jeff Sessions in reaching that conclusion. “Federal funding that bears no meaningful relationship to immigration enforcement cannot be threatened merely because a jurisdiction chooses an immigration enforcement strategy of which the president disapproves,” he said. In response, Sessions issued a memorandum to clarify the executive order, indicating that “sanctuary jurisdiction” would only include those that  “willfully refuse to comply” with 8 USC § 1373, the law that stipulates jurisdictions “may not prohibit, or in any way restrict, any government entity or official from sending to, or receiving from, [federal immigration officers] information regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual.” He also limited the funds at stake to those derived from discretionary Justice Department grants. But on Thursday, the judge said that
Continue reading…